If you are a high school student seeking to take courses, then you will need to be at least a junior and have maintained at least a B average. In addition to an application, you will need additional information as an early college student outlined below:

    How to Apply

    1. Fill out an application:

    3. Complete a Provisional Student Form, signed by your high school principal and parent/guardian



    Q: What is the difference between Dual Credit and Advanced Placement?
    A: Dual Credit courses allow the student to be awarded a letter grade. Advanced Placement (AP) courses require a comprehensive exam at the end of the semester. If you do not pass the AP exam at the end of the semester you will need to take that course again in college. Dual Credit courses walk you through to the end, all the while knowing how you are doing in the course and what the final result will be.
    Q: How many classes may I take?
    A: You may enroll in as many as your schedule and high school allows. Please make sure that your family can pay for the course(s).
    Q: Who pays for textbooks?
    A: Students are responsible for purchasing the required textbooks for each course they are enrolled in for the semester; unless they are provided by the high school. Textbook requirements may be reviewed prior to the start of the semester on the Bookstore’s webpage.
    Q: What happens if I cannot continue a class?
    A: You are required to follow the official Academic Calendar with reference to withdrawal dates. If you are enrolled in multiple courses you may drop within the first week without any penalty. You will receive a full refund, if you have already paid, and the course will not appear on your official college transcript. If you make your decision after the first week of class, but before the tenth (10) week you will be withdrawn from a course. You will receive a final grade of ‘W’ on your official college transcripts. You have until the Friday before finals week to withdraw from all of your courses if you need to do so. This means that if you have already made payment you will receive a refund based on the time of your withdrawal. This refund scale is outlined in the current college catalog.
    Q: Will my credits transfer to another institution?
    A: While our ultimate goal is to have you continue your education with Bluefield State University we do understand that you may wish to continue your education with another institution. We offer general studies courses so that your credits are more likely to transfer. It is your responsibility to contact the institutions you are thinking about enrolling in to check on the transferability of your credits.
    Q: What is the difference between dual credit and early college credit enrollment?
    A: Early college credit enrollment refers to a circumstance in which a student is enrolled in two or more educational institutions at the same time (for example, a college and a university, or a high school and a college). Early college credits may in some cases only transfer as electives at the high school level.
    Dual credit is a form of early college enrollment in which the student is awarded credit for the course by both institutions.
    Q: Where are courses for early college credit taught?
    A: Courses for early college credit may be taught on the college campus, on the high school campus, on a satellite campus, or online.
    Q: Who teaches an early college credit course?
    A: Teachers must be regularly employed faculty members of the college or must meet the same or equivalent standards (including minimal requirements of the Higher Learning Commission) and approval procedures used by the college to select faculty responsible for teaching the same courses to non-high school students at the college.  High school teachers who teach early college classes must meet these requirements
    Q: Who is responsible for determining what credit(s) are earned by the student?
    A: The college is responsible for the college course material and awards the college credit upon successful completion of the course. The high school is responsible for determining the specific high school credit that will be awarded for the college course.  The award of high school credit is at the discretion of the county school systems.